Friday, April 17, 2015

A Season Without Injury

Now that the weather has finally "turned the corner" and temperatures are consistently in the 60-70 degree (fahrenheit) range, the season of overtraining begins. Runners are notorious for overtraining and succumbing to injury in an attempt to meet their goals. Whether it's micro-fractures in the tibialis posterior, knee pain, or iliotibial band inflammation, the cause of many injuries are frequently accounted for by an eagerness to see performance gains while skimping on proper preparation and conditioning. Runners are not alone. Injury plagues most anyone training in a number of sports. Personally, I find myself forced to think about causes of injury the older I get. Not only do I fail to bounce back as quickly as I did when I was in my early 20s, but I am more prone to injury during the act; be it running, rock climbing, or trail riding. So, I recently sat down and gathered information about injury prevention. After combing through what seemed an endless amount of suggestions and good advice, I grabbed paper and a pen and compiled a list that made the most sense to me. I also made a list of my recent and recurrent injuries so as to tailor this list to my needs. Before long, I realized that my list could pertain to just about anyone. And once refined, I could likely implement this list as a catch-all for avoiding injury in most any repeated, physically-rigorous activities.

See what you think. I'll compose my list below, being careful to explain each item, and offer some examples I've adapted into my own routines to avoid injury. Keep in mind that I am not trying to create an extensive list nor do I think you should consider this list fool-proof. Like I said earlier, lists like these are generally suggestions and good advice. Same here...

5 Ways to Boost Performance While Preventing Injury


1. Pre- and Post Workout Conditioning

Ok, so this starts out pretty basic. However, it's amazing how many people are willing to shirk-off this very crucial aspect of training. This stage of preparation is usually overlooked by younger individuals who, as they age, come to realize it's importance only after succumbing to injury. I call this era the period of 'injury wake-up calls' and it is in no way ideal because some injuries can be chronic and impede performance for years. Take iliotibial band syndrome for example. Once established, this type of injury can return to greet you time-after-time for many years if not properly dealt with. There are better ways to deal with injuries like these: Don't get injured in the first place...

The body likes to be static. It attempts to store fat and preserve energy in some sort of "survival mode". From a biological stand-point this makes sense, but try abruptly changing this static state and your body might not be up for the challenge. This is why the "warm-up" period is crucial. The body needs time to adapt. The warm-up provides for the body an opportunity to increase heart-rate and blood flow to muscles as well as to temper the the musculoskeletal system for potential shock during intense training. I find that a slow-pace run (jog) for 2 miles in Heart-Rate (HR) Zone 1 to 2 does just the trick - oh and 2 miles is the minimum for me, otherwise my body struggles to adapt. However, there are those days after an intense run that my legs might not be up for the challenge and I need to be taking the day off from running. On these days, I warm-up on my bike. The smooth rotation of the pedals prevent any jarring from impact. Meanwhile, leg movement is a great way to increase HR. I generally stick to HR Zone 1 or 2 for 10 to 20 minutes at ~90 rpms.

The cool-down is also essential. If running, many folks will tell you to, "slow your pace or walk for 5 to 10 minutes at the end of training." I find that this is beneficial, but only to a point. Doing this allows the body to adjust to a slower pace and reduce impact-stress, all while HR stays elevated (which supports recovery). However, I find that my HR slows down considerably while I'm walking and there can still be awkward impact as I transition from a running stance to a walking stride. Therefore, I go back to the bike. Ten minutes in HR Zone 1 at 90 rpms minimizes impact and I get to control my HR! Afterward, it's time to stretch...

2. Stretch it out!

Without flexibility, injury is just a matter of time. The body can not perform optimally without full range of motion in the muscles. After doing a lot of reading, it appears that inadequate stretching accounts for a large portion of lower leg injuries for runners (including shinsplints, my nemesis!). The first thing to take note of - which I have done by making it two separate items on this list - is that warming up and cooling down is not the same as stretching. Personally, I find the best time to stretch is after a workout, when muscles are warm and elongated. However, there are exceptions such as when I rock climb. Then I stretch my hands and fingers prior to my warm-up. Again, stretching, like pre- and post- workout conditioning, seems more important the older we get but I assure you that everyone should incorporate it into their routine every day. While I do not personally use yoga, it really seems like a good idea!

On a last note for this item, I typically incorporate two stretches for running: touching my toes and alphabet foot/ankle stretches. These really help with shinsplints and have enabled me to be free of shinsplints for over two years. (For a more thorough set of running stretches go to Running World's article on Mastering Common Injuries.) When I'm rock climbing I work a couple light climbs in before I do any serious climbing. That and preemptive hand-stretches prevent shoulder strains and hand/finger pulls.

3. Nutrition

Here is a major item for injury prevention. Everything else should be considered routine maintenance but nutrition should be considered the key to injury prevention. EAT RIGHT! Injuries occur when the body feels sluggish and tired. Pushing yourself to stay motivated and reach your goals while not properly fueled will undoubtedly make you injury prone. And there is no other way to make sure you are getting enough of the right kinds of nutrients than to keep track of what you put into your body. If you have a training schedule and monitor what you are asking out of your body, you need an equal log of what goes into it. Tip: track more than just calories and fat. Consider Vitamins, Minerals, monounsaturated fats, saturated fats, carbs, proteins, and amino acids. Oh, and iron - particularly if you're female - but be careful! Read more about it here: Nutrition Etc...

4.  Write It Down

Whether it seems obsessive, compulsive, or both, keeping a log of your training/workouts is essential to injury prevention. Relying on memory to determine how hard you've pushed yourself over the past week is a poor substitute - and a terrible idea - for keeping a proper log of your distance, pace, and how you feel. Like I mentioned above, you should also log what you eat. This approach leads to a more holistic training regimen and will boost performance and keep you injury free.

I typically track as much data as possible. Oh, and it is totally obsessive and compulsive! I track all my workouts using Garmin Connect and my nutrition via MyFitnessPal. Lucky for me, each tracking system is synced and I get an overall report in one hub using Garmin Connect. This really serves two purposes. First, I track performance and nutrition so I train and refuel optimally. Second, social media lets me see my friends' progress which helps me stay motivated. It's the buddy system, even when it's physically impossible to have a running partner (although I prefer the non-digital method when possible).

5. Take Breaks

If you feel like you're pushing too hard, take a break (i.e. day(s) off). You won't necessarily know your limit at first - everything seems very hard initially - but with practice you come to know your body. It's always good to listen to your body to know when it's asking you to chill out. I know this might sound cliche and not very informative, but listing it here is an important reminder that we often push ourselves beyond our limits. This is usually a good thing so long as we don't overextend ourselves to the point of injury. Allow your training schedule to guide you rather than lord over you. If nothing else, you'll be happier.

Lastly, paramount to this item is proper recovery time. Be sure to plan breaks in your schedule. Inadequate rest can account for many shortcomings in your workout - and life in general. So, always be mindful of your sleep hygiene, too!

So, that's the list! Like I said, it's not comprehensive - although I think it hits some major points - and it should only be taken as suggestion. There are countless ways to stay motivated and injury free in order to accomplish your goals. Furthermore, there are endless lists like this one touting ways to stay injury free. However, I hope this list offers a more general but 'to the point' approach compared to other articles and that you can apply it to whatever sport for which you train. I hope it serves me well this season as I plan to achieve my goals unimpeded!







2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am so thankful for your attention that you have found time to devote to such a crucial question to solve. You can also use another site to read more about it, for instance, http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/how-to-prevent-climbing-and-running-injuries

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2019, one of the greatest luxuries for home technology fanatics is undoubtedly an outdoor TV. While some may believe that outdoor TVs are simply glorified indoor TVs, there are a few distinct differences. Outdoor TVs Reviews

    ReplyDelete