Saturday, March 14, 2015

Friends, Family, and the Great Outdoors: North Fork Trail

Since I left Kentucky in 2009 I have looked for ways to pursue the outdoors. Moving to Washington, DC was not ideal, in my book. Rather, it was a means to an end (and you don't always get to choose). What I left behind in Kentucky was open access to wildland forestry with almost unlimited freedom to camp and hike wherever I pleased. This has the ability to spoil anyone who comes to think of this is the status-quo. Then I moved...

When you move to The District from a place like Kentucky many things change. The cultural atmosphere, the variety of people, access to resources, definitely the politics, but the first thing I noticed was the terrain. Somehow I had traveled away from the isolation and embrace of tightly-formed hills with deciduous forest to flat, marshy land and bay waters riddled with throngs of people. My favorite pass-time as a kid was hiking and riding my mountain bike. How would I make do? The District is full of parks, sure. But the last time I visited Rock Creek Park I had the opportunity to see patrons dressed in penny-loafers, fur coats, and walking their cats! Not exactly what I was used to. But that's when I opened my eyes. For the first time I had to reach rather than be handed to. I started making time to look broadly at my surroundings. I found Catoctin Mountain a a relatively short drive away and, just a little further, the Appalachian Trail. Come to find out, Maryland is a a treasure trove of outdoor adventure. Not just the western region beyond Savage Mountain and on into West Virginia. I'm talking Central Maryland! In less than twenty minutes I could be in Patapsco Park which boasts 170 miles of trails. More than half are open to mountain biking. Perfect!

North Fork Trail
When I was young, I would camp with friends and family. When it was just us kids, we would cram every basic essential into a school bag, lace up our boots (usually a work boot), and 'a-camping we did go'! My favorite mornings were waking up, crawling out of a sleeping bag and gathering kindling to try my hand at building a fire. I was almost always successful even if that meant using an entire box of kitchen matches. Not much has changed since then except I drink coffee now. Oh, and I've refined my fire-starting skills! I didn't know it then, but I was growing up learning how to backpack. To be honest, I never realized what backpacking culture was until I was more than two decades old. I bought my first real backpack when I moved to Maryland in 2010. I had taken a hiatus from camping, in general, while an undergrad. This stands as one of my biggest regrets. Now, I take every opportunity I can to hit the great outdoors. Moving north to the DMV ( District, Maryland, and Virginia) area gave me perspective. I started rock climbing, lightweight backpacking, and mountain biking more than ever. Right now I'm planning a trip with my brother to hike the full distance of the North Fork Trail in West Virginia. It's ~24 miles of the most scenic vistas in the Monogahela. Both my brother and I have rekindled our thirst for adventure and found a way to bond as adults. Funny, while living in Kentucky, with greater access to the outdoors and family, I never realized how important these trips are. Now that I'm further away, I try harder. So, despite some of my disappointments moving to the DMV, I have to say it has taught me about the importance of life, friends, family, the and great outdoors. Thanks, Maryland!

No comments:

Post a Comment